Designer | Administrative Assistant
Designer (Chicago Based)
We are looking for an Apparel Designer who will be responsible for researching trends, ideation of new concepts and creating compelling garments. The Apparel Designer works with the apparel team to ensure that each garment meets the categories product brief and the seasonal design direction set by the Senior Management team.
- Sketch product designs and produce line art to communicate design concepts, including multiple views and detail sketches as necessary.
- Design small collections and/or special make-up designs under the guidance of design management that take into account cost, style, fit, fabric, trims and technology
- Provide design/concept boards to communicate design and seasonal direction.
- Create supporting artwork that illustrate design concepts and tell stories to the Marketing, Merchandising and Sales teams.
- Work with the category to understand market needs and design to product briefs.
- Keep abreast of market trends and consumer needs
- Select materials and trims used in product designs and assist Director in creating material and trim “toolbox boards” to consolidate selections each season
- Design function and technology into product while still designing to cost
- Create tech packs and other materials to hand off to development for sample manufacturing
- Create and maintain all art files and transfer correct information to cross functional teams
- Attend and contribute in fit and prototype review sessions
- Meet calendar deadlines and deliverables
- Identify new or innovative concepts, materials, manufacturing process, etc. and suggest ways in which they could improve the overall process and positively impact the team
- 2- 3+ years of apparel design experience
- Bachelors degree in fashion or apparel design
- Advanced level in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop a plus
- Knowledge of garment construction, garment fit and costing
- Strong communication, organizational and presentation skills; ability to receive design critique and respond with multiple solutions
- Ability to illustrate designs & concepts as hand sketches and line art. Fashion illustration a plus
- Knowledge of garment construction, draping and fitting techniques preferable
- Strong team player as well as the ability to work independently
- Ability to respond quickly to multiple projects with strong time management skills
Swirlgear founder, Lacie Whyte, was inspired by a single idea; to provide every woman runner with the highest quality apparel for her respective discipline. Her passion and commitment to innovation is evident with every garment produced.
Our mission is to be the leading women’s running apparel company in the world. At Swirlgear we understand that meeting the unmet needs of our retail partners and runners is paramount to accomplish this mission. Swirlgear provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, citizenship, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, mental or physical disability, or any other protected status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.
Provides office services by implementing administrative systems, procedures, and policies, and monitoring administrative projects.
- Maintains workflow by studying methods; implementing cost reductions; and developing reporting procedures.
- Creates and revises systems and procedures by analyzing operating practices, recordkeeping systems, forms control, office layout, and budgetary and personnel requirements; implementing changes.
- Develops administrative staff by providing information, educational opportunities, and experiential growth opportunities.
- Resolves administrative problems by coordinating preparation of reports, analyzing data, and identifying solutions.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Provides information by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning administrative projects; expediting work results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Reporting Skills, Administrative Writing Skills, Microsoft Office Skills, Managing Processes, Organization, Analyzing Information, Professionalism, Problem Solving, Supply Management, Inventory Control, Verbal Communication
Become a Swirlgear Brand Ambassador. Click here to read more!